Skip to main content

What to do when your application server goes bang

What happens when someone kills your Application Server?

So imagine the scenario:

Three Server Solution
- SharePoint 2010 and Project Server 2010 Application Server (Central Admin Host)
- Wfe/ReportServer

We wake one bleary Monday morning to find that some numpty has killed the application server and the users are baying for blood.

Well surprisingly SharePoint handles this disaster recovery scenario particularly well.  Well.  Better than I thought it would to be honest.

Rough steps:

- quick SQL backup to be safe
- Rebuild your application server
- reinstall pre-reqs
- reinstall SP, PS, SPFSP1, SPS+PSSP1, Cumulative Update and other stuff you usually put on there.
- Run your configuration wizard to reattach to the Farm, and select Host CA Site

The last step was what I was VERY wary of.  Would the server simply reattach to the Farm, even when there is no CA server available?  

Bingo your back.... almost.... you are going to get errors a-gogo in your event log as things just aren't quite back to normal after the farm had its head cut off.

Error:  Navigate to your Project Server site and select BI Center:  Unexpected error occurred
Logs:  URL events stating System.ServiceModel.ServerTooBusyException:  Secure Store Service Did Not Performed (sic) the operation
Fix:       Secure Store needs to be reset 

> Service Applications | Secure Store Properties
> Regenerate Key

Just for safety i went through and reset all properties for configured Service Applications.

Started Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application Service as IIS was also not showing the same sites on application server as on the WFE.

Outstanding issues:
- Navigating to performancepoint content returns an Unexpected Error & Event Log shows
"the user xxxxx attempted to access an item in the following location http://..............."
Verify the location exists and that the user has the Read Items permission

Ok so I missed resetting the PerformancePoint Service Application properties... after doing this, all is well

Application SErver Administration Job Failed for SErvice instance
Reason: There is no project Portal_Content mounted under gatherer application 68d05007-b712-46f2-adc6-58c22066dbd0.

I didnt find a way around this... recreated Search Service Application

Anyway that was my route to getting this farm up and running again.  we were lucky we didnt have any code recover from the dead app server.

At the end of this process we had:
- SP Sites back up and available
- CA Back up and available
- PWA sites and BI reports

Hope it helped some...



Popular posts from this blog

#projectserver2013 VIEW FAILURE: The view failed to load. Press OK to reload this view with the default settings. Press cancel to select another view.

** UPDATE ** includes notes relating to secondary bug where Timesheet is created without Administrative tasks.

Does this ring any bells?

This has been bugging me for months, but finally I have a repro for this:

Issue Summary:  When a task is deleted from a plan that is approved into a previous or current timesheet - even when there are no actuals on the task - you can no longer view the timesheet

The following repro has been proven:
- Setup system with Single Entry Mode, with enforced Status Approval before Timesheet Approval
- Create resource as own timesheet manager
- Create new project
- Create two tasks in the same week, starting monday with 5 days duration:  1) Task to assign actuals, 2) Task to delete post submission
- Assign Resource to tasks
- publish project
- as Timesheet User, go to the appropriate timesheet period for the tasks created
- Assign actual work to one task (task 1), leaving task 2 with no actual work
- Submit timesheet
- as Project Status Manager, approve the time on task 1 …

Reporting from Project Server 2016 - multiple sites and userviews

Just a quickie...
I've been interested in how MS have handled the "multiple PWA sites in a Content DB" thing since I read that this was their new approach.  Most of my reporting is via SSRS so i am reliant (still... in 2016) on DB queries rather than OData feeds (tsk) and this "querying a PWA DB with more than one PWA site in it is unsupported" quote was worrying me.

So it looks like what is happening is this.

When you create the first PWA site in a Content DB it hard-codes the SiteID into the _Userview view design elements.  This means that your first PWA Site is the default.  All the data for subsequent sites are still held in the tables against separate SiteID's but you cannot utilise the OOTB _Userview components (see below)

SELECT        ProjectFields....
FROM            pjrep.MSP_TVF_EpmProject('FF19B767-CA6D-4C4C-B123-C0B5AE5354D6') AS MSP_EpmProject